- The Milwaukee Holiday Lights Festival Kick-Off - Thursday, November 20, Downtown - The fun starts at 4:45-5:30 p.m. with festivities and the official tree lighting outside City Hall. The holiday spirit continues at 6 p.m. at Pere Marquette Park with live music, dancers, ice carving, and fireworks.
- The Milwaukee Holiday Parade - Saturday, November 22, 9:30 a.m, Downtown - Santa, the UW Marching Band, balloons, floats, and more. And bonus: Saturday is supposed to be the warmest day of the week!
- The Jingle Bus - Thursday-Sunday, November 20-December 28, 6-9 p.m. - For just $1/person, you can hop on the bus to enjoy a 40-minute narrated tour of the city's best downtown light displays.
- Cocoa With the Clauses - Saturday, December 13, 11-2 p.m. - Come to Cathedral Square Park to enjoy free cookies and hot chocolate, reindeer games, face painting, and a visit with Mr. and Mrs. Claus.
- Leonard Bearstein Symphony Orchestra - November 14-January 1, hourly, Grand Ave Mall - The kids will be mesmerized by the bears' holiday musical performance.
- BMO Harris Bank Holiday Display - December 1-January 5, BMO Harris Bank downtown - Stop by the bank lobby for a classic Milwaukee experience - the 150-Steiff animal animated display. This year's theme is The Nutcracker.
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
It's here! That crazy time of year when I want to believe that we still have lots of the fall left to enjoy, but I know that winter is really here. There is no denying the snowflakes and frigid temperatures that have settled in to the Milwaukee area. And I certainly can't deny the intense process of layering the kids up every time we leave the house...hats, mittens, coats, boots, and scarves, oh my! That undeniable winter weather means that Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Hanukkah festivities are just around the corner. I just don't feel like Thanksgiving is next week already. It's only been a few weeks since we were playing at the pool, right? You'd think my son's daily questioning about when Christmas will be here would be enough to make me snap to and prepare for this "most wonderful time of the year." Alas, I may need a boost. In case you don't have your own Christmas chatterbox, or you too need a shot of cheer, here are some upcoming activities guaranteed to help you start singing, "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas." (Bonus: They're all $1 or less!)